Buck Ridge Ranch
Just outside of Raton, NM, sits the majestic Buck Ridge Ranch. Known and managed for its excellent trophy quality Mule Deer. With several springs, ponds, and food plots, the Mule Deer in this area call this ranch home, and with only very few management bucks being taken from the property, the mature bucks are any deer hunters' dream! The terrain on the ranch varies and is also the perfect habitat for hunting elk, turkey, bear, and mountain lion. Hunting blinds are set strategically throughout the ranch for many "ready to go" options to hunt from.
Amazing views stretch as far as the eye can see from the top of the rimrock looking out. Beautiful rock cliff outcroppings make for stunning views within the mesa. Varying vegetation includes pines, pinons, native grass, and scrub oak.
The trail system maneuvers efficiently throughout the entire ranch. A bonus is the two different access points to enter and exit for different hunting scenarios or multiple hunters. Multiple springs provide adequate water throughout the ranch. In addition, all ponds are easily accessible for wildlife and possibly recreational use.
The 3-bedroom, 1.5-bathroom ranch house needs extensive work. However, it is located just below the rimrock, in a beautiful setting that would be a prime location to build, is accessed by an all-weather county-maintained road. The ranch access located at the bottom of the mesa is paved to the turn off to the gate.
- 1, 439.0668 + /- acres
- vegetation includes pinons, pines, scrub oak, and native grasses.
- elevation 7,200-8,000 ft
- One large Pond
- Three smaller pond/dirt Tanks
- Private trail system
- Food plots
- Three bedroom, 1.5 bathroom ranch house (needs extensive work)
- Two different access points. One is off a paved road, and the other is paved, except the last 2.5 miles of road leading to the upper part of the property.
- Hunting Blinds
- UNIT 57
- Elk, Deer, Turkey, Bear, and Mountain Lion hunting
- The ranch also qualified for the New Mexico Game and Fish Mule Deer Incentive Program in the last two years, which provides later season Buck tags. However, the application has already been re-filed for this year.
- Private land, over-the-counter, Deer license.
- Private land Elk licenses are over-the-counter through a specific ranch code the ranch receives.
- Private Land, over-the-counter, Bear license with quota
- Over-the-Counter, Mountain Lion license with quota
- Over-the-Counter, Turkey
- Located just south of Raton is the NRA Whittington Center, Easily accessible from I-25. More than 33,300 acres and 25 ranges are devoted to shooting for any discipline. Exceptional guided and unguided hunts, expert firearms training, lodging, cabins and camping, youth programs, a museum, a Pro Shop, and much more.
- Located just northeast of the ranch is Sugarite Canyon, State Park. Nearly all outdoor recreation activities are possible: Fishing, boating, hiking, horseback riding, hunting, and camping.
- Twenty-five minutes or 20 miles to Trinidad Lake State Park from Raton, NM. The park protects Trinidad Lake, a dammed reservoir. There are hiking trails and camping and boating opportunities. The park features historical attractions such as the coal mining ruins at Cokedale.
- 25 minutes (22 miles) from Trinidad, CO
- 1 hour 29 minutes to Angel Fire, NM
- 1 hour 55 minutes to Taos, NM
- San Luis Valley Regional Airport (86.9 miles)
- Pueblo Memorial Airport (95.9 miles)
- Colorado Springs Airport (132.4 miles)
- Albuquerque International Sunport (177.1 miles)